Back to school is such a great time for kids. Why? This time of year brings a lot of new and exciting things, including rekindling old friendships, making new friends, and participating in new group activities and sports. This year, my kids are most excited for fall baseball season.
Not only are sports fun and exciting, but they also provide camaraderie among kids. Have you ever thought of the many benefits of playing team sports? Besides being a ton of fun and a great way to stay active, participation in sports helps kids build social and teamwork skills.
Here are a few other great benefits to participation in team sports:
1. Builds confidence. When playing a sport, children have the opportunity to show their skills, gain greater self-awareness, and enjoy an activity that they love the most.
2. Provides consistent exercise. Most kids have too much screen time and not enough hands-on activity. Team sports commits your child to regular exercise, which helps boost immunity and contributes to overall physical health.
3. Develops relationships. Children build friendships with other children and their coaches, which is a great way for your child to expand their social skills and understand expectations.
4. Contributes to stronger academics. Children who play team sports are more apt to stronger academic achievement. Through sports, kids learn the importance of time management and discipline.
5. Helps put winning into perspective. This can be a real sore subject for some kids. Participating in team sports gives kids the opportunity to gain an understanding of both winning and losing, as well as the recognize the value of every teammates’ abilities in contributing toward a shared goal.
6. Teaches respect. In team sports, children learn to respect other authoritative figures, such as coaches, referees and umpires, as well as their peers.
7. Encourages family involvement. Your child is not the only one who will benefit from participation in team sports. Moms, dads and siblings can practice plays, attend games and cheer each other on, providing a bonding opportunity for the whole family. Head on over to my blog to check out some tips on how to stay organized on game days.
Crystal VanTassel is a Play Ambassador for Let’s Play.